Skating at the rink can be monotonous at times. That is why sometimes we the urge to go to take on the streets. The best way forward is to get the best skate wheels for street for top performance.
There are very many types and designs of skateboard wheels in the market the key thing is to get the right ones. To be able to distinguish them there are various factors to put into consideration.
The difference comes in the hardness, diameter, and smoothness. Despite your experience level as a skater, it is also possible to get best street wheels for beginners, intermediate and pro skaters.
Factors to consider while choosing the best skate wheels for street
- Wheel type – we have three types of skateboard wheels. They are the park and street wheels, cruiser wheels, and longboard wheels. The park and street are ideal for street skating. They are soft and the hardest when compared with the other types, lightweight, and roll effortlessly on smooth surfaces. It is easier to do flip tricks and power slides in them as well as other technical tricks The cruiser wheels are also known as filmer wheels they are a bit softer than the park and street wheels. They are compact and do well on rough surfaces since they deliver smooth rides. Lastly, we have the longboard wheels which are absolutely the softest wheels and have the power to hold on extra rough surfaces. They hold very fine in all corners.
- Wheel size –the small the diameter of the wheel the less the weight. Wheels with bigger diameters tend to be heavier and hard to manage through the streets even though they roll faster. Technically, lighter wheels are suitable for street skating.
- Wheel shape-the shape of the wheel determines a lot in skating. A sharp edge on the wheel will enhance grip and moving will not be swift as a rounded shape. Definitely, a round shape will roll easily and freely.
- Wheel hardness-wheels hardness is usually measured with a durometer. Most of them range between 75A to 104a. A soft wheel is in between 78A-90A. Wheels between 90A-99A are considered to be medium hardness and wheels ranging from 99A upwards are the hardest. For street skating, the hardest wheels are the best since soft wheels wear out very fast on the street
- Wheel Contact patch– this is actually the part that touches the ground. Ideally, narrow wheels are for street skating because they glide faster and slip easily compared to wider wheels. Wider wheels are best for transporting since they maintain their grip
Top Skate Wheels for Street
Best Overall: Spitfire Formula Four 101A
Spitfire is yet the best wheel in the market. The conical full shape enhances a wider riding surface area and provides unmatched control and great speed which adheres to any terrain. They measure a 101A durometer, a height of 52 mm, a width of 32.5 mm, and a contact patch of 21mm.
Best Value: Bones STF Retros 99A Skateboard Wheels
The Bones STF Retros 99A is softer and so build for street riding since they provide powerful slides. In an ideal world, the STF is well built up rigors of the street such as street riding, curbing, and grinding rails. They are super perfect for rolling and give you confidence while skating.
Best Budget: Mini–Logo A Cut 101A (52mm)
Mini –Logo wheels are made from high-quality and long-lasting urethane with an exclusive performance. The A cut shape on the wheel has an aside cut profile and a wider contact area that provides more stability on all grounds. They are as well the best budget street wheels in the market doing the most.
Top 5 Best Skate Wheels for Street
They have a conical shape supporting a wider riding surface area and control. All my life I had never used these wheels, immediately I got on the board and in seconds I was amused at how stable they were.
They held on the ground nicely and everything felt controlled. Thanks to its durable material that is urethane with a manageable grip and also abrasion resistant. Spitfire are without doubt the best wheels skate wheels for street in the market.
They are smooth with beautiful graphics on them and have a shiny coating on them even it wears out with time. These wheels measure a 101A durometer, a height of 52 mm, a width of 32.5 mm, and a contact patch of 21mm.
The advantage of its conical full shape enhances a wider riding surface area and provides unmatched control and great speed which adheres to any terrain. They are very safe for the users.
- Offers the best grip
- Reliable and very comfortable
- Best for street skating
- High quality and durable
Bones wheels for the longest time have been popular. If you are a starter in skating these wheels were made for you. These are the best wheels for beginners.
They deliver everything you wish for in skateboard wheels. The Bones STF Retros 99A is softer and so build for street riding since they provide powerful slides.
There are other types of Bones wheels but the ones meant for the street are the STF which means Street Tech Formula. The STF is well built up rigors of the street such as street riding, curbing, and grinding rails.
They are super perfect for rolling and give you confidence while skating.
Durability and good performance are what make these wheels outstanding. They are also different designs and the main difference is the shape which makes Bones wheels versatile.
Bones also are aesthetically attractive and if you love some graphic touch then they have it all. The quality is extremely top notch and they will last you ages.
- Best for power slides
- Affordable regardless of the quality
- Long lasting
- Perfect fit for beginners
- They are pricey
The Mini Logo A Cut is yet another incredible skateboard wheel with powerful slides for the street. They are similar to Bones the only difference is the graphics.
There is some attraction that comes with white wheels. They are just a vibe and if you love minimal and at the same time outstanding aesthetics, they are a good hit. Mini –Logo wheels are made from high-quality and long-lasting urethane with an exclusive performance.
The wheel’s surface is well-treaded making your skating sessions comfortable and safe on the streets. The A cut shape on the wheel has an aside cut profile and a wider contact area that provides more stability on all grounds. However, the C-cut shape is for minimizing the weight used while skating thus having a slim profile.
The wheels have a diameter of 56 mm and a hardness of 101A which is impressive for the street ride. Not to forget their well-designed conical shape with a wide surface area that offers good control.
The fact that Mini-Logo has made sure that the wheels have the most important features is such a satisfying deal to make one consider their wheels. Again lets us appreciate the fact that this company has produced high-quality wheels for a fair price. They are so true to what you pay for.
- Made from good-quality urethane
- Good grip on all terrains
- They are durable and long-lasting
- Provide good performance
- Price worthy
- They flat spot easily
Ricta Clouds wheels are made of semi-soft urethane. These wheels can be used in rough terrain that is they qualify to be the best wheels for rough roads such as craggy streets, skating ditches, ollieing, etc. The narrow shape allows them to pull along all streets.
Well, if you are looking forward to smooth rides, and great ollies go for this 56mm and you will ride comfortably. I cannot vouch for them for a good cruising experience as I have been having this 56mm with a durometer of 92a but as I said they are better for rough street terrains.
The wheels doing better in such terrains does not affect the speed, they maintain a favorable motion.These wheels are a good choice for a lot of skaters despite being filmer wheels the contact patch wider and not so bad for maintaining balance.
- Offer super smooth rides on rough surfaces
- Significantly lighter
- Resistant to the flat spot
- Great choice for beginners
- Experienced skaters find it rough on them
Well, they are super functional not only in cruising but are good for skating on normal parks and skate grounds. In fact, in our estate where I stay most of the skaters have these wheels, and being an area with a small street they are so compatible.
The point that they are so comfortable and grip too well on the grinds makes them functional for the streets.
They are well structured with a high-quality urethane and a plastic core which makes them more durable. These are wheels with a smooth surface and as well appear shiny on the riding surface. More so, they have a wide profile that provides stability and balance so you are able to stay on your line while skating.
To add on, if you want wheels with super speed the OJ Mini Juice will serve you right. The wheels are smooth, perfect size, and have incredible shape. They justify the reason you will have to break the bank to own them
- Offers Smooth slides
- Best for cruising
- Reputable brand
- Great stability
- Good for beginners
- Susceptible to the flat spot
Checking into this article we have seen that there are different types, shapes, and sizes of skate wheels. They also vary in terms of suitable styles. In terms of quality then every brand has its own quality. Anyway, those are some of the best skateboard street wheels in the market and you can maybe consider purchasing and taking your skating skill to another level.
Everyone has their own taste and preference and thus you put this factor first while buying. Street skating is fun with the best wheels.